National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) is mandated to create a framework for the planning, research, development, standardization, application, coordination, monitoring, evaluation and regulation of information technology practices, activities and systems in Nigeria. To achieve its mandate on ICT innovation and entrepreneurship, the office for ICT innovation and entrepreneurship (OIIE) was established under NITDA. OIIE is the stop office for nurturing ICT based innovations and entrepreneurship in the country. Through its pillars of innovation ecosystem, entrepreneurship, inclusive development, commercialization and partnership, OIIE addresses the challenges that are inhibiting the growth of entrepreneurs, as well as creating an enabling environment to foster the growth of the ICT ecosystem. The office:
- Is committed to formulating programs and framework policies that are all inclusive of major stakeholders while ensuring the development a sustainable and thriving ICT ecosystem across the country;
- Coordinates high impact programs like future garage, StartUP Friday, StartUP clinic, StartUP Nigeria, i-Work, Future hack, Venture in a week, as well as partnering with other ICT stakeholders towards increasing contributions of other sectors of ICT to national GDP with more job and wealth creation;
- Increases inflow of investments as over USD4.3 million (NGN1.2 billion) was raised so far via the platforms sponsored by OIIE;
- Supports ongoing incubation of twenty-one (21) ICT startups from October 2015 till date with talent acceleration of seventy-five (75) tech developers and twenty (20) ICT SME’s;
- Promotes youth development by engagement of over 4500 youths in NYSC camps through its entrepreneurship program.
- Boosts the economy through increasing ICT innovative activities and evolution of mass innovation and entrepreneurship; and
- Collaborates & partner with private sector & other stakeholders in bringing synergy to the ecosystem;
Some of the Nigerian ICT startups that launched through various innovation platforms sponsored by NITDA through OIIE have recorded some traction and successes, which hitherto would not have been possible if there is no focused special purpose vehicle under NITDA as office for ICT innovation and entrepreneurship (OIIE).